vendredi, octobre 19, 2007

Put me in coach!

The damn strike dragged on today and it's a huge pain. It has become nearly impossible to find a Velib' that doesn't have a flat tire or a busted chain, because EVERYONE has had to resort to biking to get around town. Not to mention that the machines you have to put your card in to unlock a bike are freaking out because of over use. I wouldn't be surprised if fights start breaking out around the bike stalls.

Today I put in my name to be considered for the French national ultimate frisbee team. I will find out next week if I made the shortlist. And if I do, I'll be heading to Tours in november for tryouts. And if I make the team, I will be playing at the World Championship next august in Vancouver. I've been going through team sports withdrawal lately, but last time I tried to play frisbee in Paris, it was an awkward experience. Not only was I by far the best girl out of all the others on the team I joined, but I could huck harder and further than 95% of their men. And by 95% I mean 100%. They felt emasculated and I felt butch. The stereotype of French machismo was confirmed. I promptly put my cleats back in the closet and kissed my athletic past goodbye.

But after looking at all the pictures from Canadian Nationals I got nostalgic and started googling teams in and around Paris. My search led me to find the national co-ed club homepage. Good timing too because today was the last day for applications.

They want me on their team. They need me on their team.

Recognize.