samedi, octobre 20, 2007

it's almost over...they will be gone tomorrow...

The biggest tragedy to come out of France's semi-final loss to England in the Rugby World Cup is that it meant the England supporters stuck around a week longer. Harsh? Maybe. But until you spend a week not being able to leave your appartment without coming across drunken louts hollering "BONNEJOOOR" at you and then laughing as if they are the most clever dudes on the planet, or shouting obscenities at you because you're biking in a skirt, you don't get to judge me for that last comment.

I live next to the Eiffel tower. The game is being broadcast on giant screens on the field in front of it. My neighbourhood is teeming with idiots carrying more crates of beer and bags of chips than they can handle. I just got back from the supermarket where I stood in line between two different groups of supporters buying, you guessed it, more liquor. The guys in front of me were infuriatingly obnoxious: snapping photographs of the cashier, assuring her that they weren't taking photos of her breasts, asking her if she likes boys, then upon receiving a negative response asking her if she likes girls..."oh you must be a LESBIAN". Thankfully the brits behind me were incredibly embarassed and made some remark along the lines of "no wonder the french think we're retards".

I hope England loses. Badly.