vendredi, octobre 06, 2006

beats, bling and booty shakin'

My weekend started a few days early this week...hence my staying in on a Friday night. Blast from the past on wednesday night when I was invited out to a 7th anniversary bash at one of the foremost electronic music clubs in Paris for a drum 'n bass night. Blast from the past because I'm pretty sure the last time I listened to drum 'n bass was when I was 15 and going to raves at the Plaza of Nations. Nevertheless, the place was packed, the beer was flowing and the party was still going at 5am when I decided I'd heard enough drum 'n bass to last me another 7 years.

Last night was equally epic, and much more enjoyable. We headed to Le Paris Paris (http://www.leparisparis.com) to check out Yelle, New Young Pony Club and a bunch of DJs. We had to get there ridiculously early (9:30) just to make sure we got in, despite being on the guestlist (said list was about 10 pages long). But we managed to secure a sweet spot on the couches near the stage ("what 'reserved seating' sign?"). The first band on is not even worth mentioning. They looked like they were 15 years old and sounded like every other garage rock band out there right now. Next!

New Young Pony Club (couple of songs available at http://www.myspace.com/newyoungponyclub) got the crowd moving. I loved them but I'm a little biased because they fit perfectly into the category of music that I'm into right now...dancey, limited substance, fun. Plus, what is it about bands with girl drummers that immediately makes them that much more awesome? After NYPC came Yelle...a better, wittier, more biting version of Uffie. She might not have Feadz or Mr. Oizo doing her beats but her lyrics and stage presence make up for it. And anyone who has the balls to write a song entirely dedicated to dissing Cuizinier (the C in TTC) gets extra points. (ie: Je Veux Te Voir --> http://www.myspace.com/iloveyelle)

Somewhere between NYPC and Yelle I (completely inadvertedly) made friends with a bartender and kept on getting served free triple rum 'n cokes. Have I so drastically changed in the year that I was back in Vancouver? Because this kind of stuff never happened to me last time I was in Paris...

The DJs were awesome, but because of my new friend, part of my night is a little foggy. I do remember someone taking a picture of my bling. I've gotta start sporting it out more often because it makes for a great conversation-starter...