mercredi, octobre 24, 2007

i thought my quick repartee was part of my charm...

It's been a while since I've been directly confronted with completely unprovoked insane behaviour. Last night after having a couple of glasses of wine after a long day at work and class, Cas and I grabbed some late-night chinese food. I knew this before, but it was brutally confirmed to me again last night: sometimes speaking english in Paris makes you an easy target for assholes and creeps.

So this thirtysomething man with crazy eyes marches into the restaurant and immediately begins harassing us in broken english. I ask him very calmly (in french) if there is a problem. Yes, apparently there is a problem. The man tells me that we know each other, through DJ Pacman, "remember?". Nope sorry I don't, I reply and go back to eating my dumplings. Well good, he says, because DJ Pacman died last night. That's a shame, I say without even looking up. More words were exchanged, mostly about this defunct mutual friend of ours. This guy was incredibly hard to ignore, but I did my best.

He proceeds to order food, while continuing to loudly harass me from across the restaurant. And then just as he's leaving, he stops in front of me, leans over and gets right in my face and says "You. The next time I see you I'm going to put a bullet through your head" while making the trigger motion with his thumb. At this point, most of the people in the restaurant had stopped talking. I had had just about enough of the random abuse, so I very calmly and very politely informed him that he could go f¤¤¤ himself. Oh boy, he did NOT like that! And to show his displeasure, he grabbed the closest chair and lifted it up over his head and asked me to repeat what I had just said. So I did. And yep, he was still pretty mad after the second time I said it. All of this, from the fake gun pointing to the brandishing of a chair over me, went down in less than 10 seconds. But the owner of the shop obviously has plenty of experience with psychos, so it took him half a second to get out from behind the counter and kick the guy out. And I was able to finish my dumplings in peace.

The moral of this story: don't threaten me when I'm trying to enjoy a meal after a long day. No wait...I think the real moral is that I have to learn how to keep my mouth shut. Oopsie.