mardi, décembre 26, 2006

tout le monde vient habillé, mais tout le monde part à poil.

Alright, this post is long overdue. I would like to mention, in my defense, that it took me a few days to recover from Saturday night. And then Christmas break happened and I hopped on a plane to Toronto and have been spending my days watching TV, sleeping and eating.

On saturday the 16th, I wrote an excruciating exam. Thankfully I wasn't the only one who walked out of there after three hours of frantic essay-writing looking less than thrilled with what I had managed to spit out onto the paper. But all of that was soon forgotten.

My friends and I were kind of dumb and didn't get advance tickets before they sold out, so we had to show up when the doors opened to try to get in. Doors opened at 9, we got in at midnight. Turns out it was as much of a gong-show in the VIP/presales lineup, since a couple of our buddies had to wait an hour despite being on the list.

Speaking of lineup, the DJ list for this show was epic. We missed out on Tacteel, Mehdi (with Dave1), Busy P and Das Glow. We did get there on time to hear that Uffie is still as mediocre as ever, even when she tries to rap over her own tracks played in the background. I was too distracted by the goodie bags handed to us in the VIP section to pay attention.

After saying hello to everyone, I grabbed a drink and started watching the show. Surkin was the first set I saw. How old is this guy? I think he might be about 18. He's absolutely awesome though. There are a couple of YouTube clips of his set that night.



After that, Para One was up. I was incredibly excited for this set...although the consensus around the dinner table the next night was that he definitely wasn't at his best. This was the first time I saw him live, so no complaints here! Especially when TTC jumped on stage and performed Musclor and Dans le club. Amazing!





Up next was Justice. Theirs was the set I was most looking forward to, and I have to admit I was not that impressed. However, their new single (EP to be released in February) sounded huge blasting out of the sound system. You could feel the bass vibrating in your stomach.



Sebastian followed Justice and he pretty much blew them out of the water. The dinner table was in agreement. Not only did he trick us into thinking he was doing a live mix (certain dinner guests informed me that he had prepared it earlier) but his set was ace. Check out his EP Ross Ross Ross and get familiar Vancouver, he's coming to your town in March!



I think around this time I found out that Romain Duris (my favourite french actor) had shown up and was hanging around the VIP section. I went on a frantic search but couldn't find him. Maybe it's better I didn't find him because I had been drinking and probably would have blurted out some embarassingly unoriginal compliment or stared creepily. But next time he's in the same place as me, I'll be ready with the line of the century! Feadz was on afterwards, but I decided to be social instead of listening to what turned out to be the most boring set of the night. It was 6am anyways, so we decided to stumble home.

Of course I cannot forget to mention the surprise guest, none other than Thomas Bangalter of Daft Punk, who jumped behind the decks around the same time that I arrived. And while I don't remember seeing him with my own eyes, I checked out the YouTube clips afterwards and remembered hearing his set. Unfortunately after 3 hours spent in line and half a bottle of wine to myself I had to bee-line it to the bathroom and face the massive lineup. First time he has played in Paris in 8 years, by the way!!

Sunday was a writeoff. We woke up at 2pm, grabbed falaffels downtown, then met up with some people from the night before around burgers and wine. We were a sorry bunch. I was still feeling the exhaustion well into Tuesday...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

I was always wondering what Justice looked like.

10:35 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home