samedi, juin 02, 2007

T minus 3 days

Paris must be the hardest city to do a cleanse in. Take a stroll in the street and on every block there is a bakery, releasing into the air the most mouth-watering smells. Turn a corner and you're faced with a patio full of people eating fries and steak tartare. Don't even venture into le Marais...the smell of crepes or the best falafel joints in the world will inevitably make its way into your nostrils, making you weak in the knees. I've also come to realise how much of my social life revolves around a good meal and a bottle of wine. I've done this cleanse before but this time was by far the hardest, no doubt because it's hard to keep when you're going to school full time. But, when I wake up tomorrow morning, I will have only three days to go.

On my way home from the movies last night I was accosted by a very well-dressed, good-looking thirtysomething couple. The man proceeded to embrace me and tell me not to be scared. Thankfully, a few seconds later he finished that thought by saying: "even though Sarkozy is in power, we still have each other. We must stick together." He then asked me what I was listening to on my iPod (Dan Bejar you now have a new Parisian fan. You're welcome). Then he embraced me once more and told me to be strong, gave me a high five because "I can tell you're left wing. Not like my companion here" and continued on his way.