lundi, janvier 01, 2007

so this is the new year

It's with a bit of a heavy heart that I rang in the New Year. For those of you in the Vancouver Ultimate community you will have already heard about the tragic car accident that claimed the life of one of the UBC women's team's coaches. JK's death came as a huge shock and he will be dearly missed...

If classes didn't start up again tomorrow and if I didn't have so much work to hand in in the next 2 weeks, I would have stayed in Toronto for New Year's Eve. Unless you have lots of money to spend on exorbitant cover to get into even the shittiest club, Paris is lame on december 31st. Low expectations are key.

My night started off on the right foot when, on my way home from dinner at around 1030, I didn't respond to heckling from some 17 year old riff raff and I got a glass bottle thrown at my feet. Happy new year indeed, assholes.

This little anecdote illustrates perfectly why Paris is not fun during nights of big celebration. The chances that you'll get harassed increase tenfold; not only by the racaille that comes in from the suburbs, but from over-aggressive cops who are on edge and snap faster than usual. A general rule is to avoid the streets at all costs between 1am and 3am, because that's when they start laying the smack down. Although last night, the sirens started resonating across the city around 10pm.

I ended up at a very random house party in the diplomatic appartment of a guy who works for the Cypriot embassy. There were seemingly endless bottles of champagne, wine and hardbar, fabulous finger foods and a DJ. I spent a good half hour discussing the politics of fashion with this guy's business partner. FYI Vancouver, Leone distributes some of his clothes, so if you're looking for a $5000 dress...

After trying to hail a cab for about 20 minutes (and in the meantime getting harassed some more in the street) we gave up and I started walking home. Don't worry mom I had my pepper spray.

So now it's 2007 and I've got a very difficult 2 weeks of assignments and projects ahead of me. Maybe I should have joined this protest. Who said the French didn't have a sense of humour?