mardi, mars 06, 2007

back to Nerdom.

Yep, it's time for me to get serious again. The wakeup call came yesterday when I looked through my agenda and realised that I have an oral presentation, a paper or a group assignment due every single week until my week vacation in April. Oh boy.

Nonetheless, as a sort of farewell to my life of leisure, I headed to the Colette Dance Class last night. The theme was the Jackson 5, but unfortunately we got there too late to participate. Didn't matter too much though because after the class we got treated to hours of amazing hip hop, c/o Pedro Winter. Tell me, when was the last time you got to dance to Biggie's Ten Crack Commandments in a club?? I must also mention that Sasha is my new favourite person for knowing every single word of that song and pulling out the sweetest dance moves, while sporting a dress shirt and an old man cardigan. A king among men.

The real purpose of this post, however, is to discuss my love affair with PBS Frontline. Not only do they consistently put out some of the best investigative journalism on television today, but they upload all of their documentaries online for everyone to access...for FREE. On top of that, they also provide all of their interview transcripts since they only use excerpts in their shows, AND tons of other goodies like de-classified documents, links and analysis. I strongly recommend you check out Al-Qaeda's New Front, Private Warriors, and News Wars which is their most recent feature on the changing role of the press in America and how it is reacting to huge economic and political challenges, the latter coming especially from the current Bush administration.

At the risk of including too much geekiness in one post, I would also like to mention how awesome Sciences-Po is. It is unbelievable the stuff I'm learning here since my classes are taught by people who are "in" at the highest levels of government. For instance, I am taking a class with Hubert Vedrine, Minister of Foreign Affairs under President Francois Mitterand. I will forgive him for always arriving 15 minutes late, not giving us a course outline and occasionally sending messages on his Blackberry in the middle of lectures, because he always ends his class 30 minutes early in order to allow us to pick his brain on anything going on in the world today....anything. My spanish class is taught by a journalist who last week gave us some info about a certain very well-known journalist who has been held captive for years in Colombia, and that I'm not sure I should talk about on this blog. I won't even go into all the juicy gossip floating around the halls about the sordid affairs of France's political elite. All of this makes up the "Love" part in my Love-Hate relationship with Sciences-Po. Perhaps one day I will describe the hated elements. Catch me in a couple of weeks when I'll be sleep deprived and malnourished.