mardi, mars 11, 2008

back to school

Well, it was only fitting that this trip end just as badly as it started. Immediately upon sitting down in the plane headed to Frankfurt, I got hit with that nasty virus that was going around Vancouver. And so, during eight excrutiatingly long hours, I suffered through every possible symptom in the book, and the two babies near me made damn sure that I wouldn't get any kind of decent sleep for the entirety of the flight.

Needless to say, I can barely remember my fist week of class. I went through it in an ibuprofen-induced haze, and I'm not even sure where I found the strength to drag myself to and from school every day. Fear of failure is a powerful incentive. I think I slept more in the past week than in the entire first year of my master's program.

On my way back to Paris from Vancouver I stopped for a couple of days in Toronto. I still can't make up my mind about that city. Perhaps it doesn't help that I always seem to go there during the winter months, and so it's pretty difficult to try to discover a city when your only preoccupation is to not freeze to death. But I did come to the realization that young torontonians are freaks of nature, parading around at night on Queen Street West in - 15 degree weather in mini-skirts and dress shirts.

Ahhh, Queen Street West. Toronto's version of Granville Street in downtown Vancouver. If you ever want to get harassed by a douchebag or randomly punched in the face, this is the place to be. Where are all the skids? Where are the locally-run art galleries? Also, where did all the good vintage shops go? Kensington market has become dismal...unless you're looking to buy bongo drums and cargo pants. Any answers to these questions would be much appreciated.

So now I'm back to school, and of course with schoolwork comes...procrastination! So I've recently discovered the excellent Vice Guide to Travel on VBSTV. I thought the one on Bulgaria was pretty neat. The guys go to Bulgaria and find out how easy it is to purchase a warhead on the black market. But then I saw the Vice Guide to North Korea. Must see viewing!