mercredi, novembre 28, 2007

bored at work.

My week has been terribly devoid of excitement. On Saturday I was so motivated to go big, but unfortunately by the time we rolled up to this new night being launched by Teki Latex, the lineup was too huge and we were too cold. Other than that, my weekend was spent roaming the parisian streets lost in deep thought, eating too many pastries and sitting in cafes, writing and people-watching. Not that those activites aren't enjoyable. But my days of going out until 5am and barely scraping by with 4 hours of sleep per night are becoming a distant memory. Which is ironic because given how slack my internship is, I should be taking advantage of all this free time before school starts again in March.

So, for lack of more superficial things to discuss, I thought I'd post this link to an op-ed piece by Thomas Friedman about the re-launching of the Middle East Peace Process in Annapolis. I tend to agree with most of what he's saying, and I'm willing to bet that nothing concrete will come out of these talks. History has shown that peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians fail when the leaders lack strength and legitimacy. Olmert's popularity is hovering around a dismal 20% right now. Abbas doesn't even control the entire Palestinian territories. The foundations of a lasting peace require risky political decisions and compromise. Given the shaky political ground both of these men are standing on, it is very unlikely that either of them would be willing to sacrifice their political careers for a peace process that, let's face it, looks a lot like a last-ditch attempt by the Bush administration to leave the White House on a positive note.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ms. Maftei,

So I rolled up onto your facebook page to leave you a note/question on the status of the maddening strikes. Then I noticed your blog and thought maybe there'd be something there.

And what do I stumble upon as its most recent post, a comment about the Annapolis meeting. So I feel it appropriate to add...

This attempt at a legacy for the Bush Admin is ludicrous at best. Not only are the Middle East leaders devoid of any real people power, but the main 'broker's' power is just as weak. So you've got three heads of government that have arguably very little support for an initiative like this.

Not to mention the difficulty in coming to agreements on the real issues on the table i.e. borders, refugees, settlements, Jerusalem, etc. at this point in time. These have always been the issues and will always be, and as of now each side seems to be quite entrenched in their positions. And let's not forget the elephant in the room: Hamas.

I'm still dumbfounded that the one Arab government that is considered an 'ally' of the US is being left to out to dry - Lebanon. The country is in the midst of a presidential and possibly constitutional crisis with a relapse of civil war being seriously talked about, and the US is talking about attempting a year-long peace process that is most likely going to end up in stalemate...again.

Should I still be shocked by developments like these? I guess not. These types of moves makes it difficult to stay optimistic.

Also, I still want to know what France looks like these days. Please give my best to Sarko. Hope all is well with you.

2:53 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home