dimanche, mars 16, 2008

bad habits

My suitcase has come back from it's round-the-world trip to land at my parents' front door. It took a month and a half, and I had to spend a bunch of money for new clothes while I was in Vancouver, but shit happens. At least I got my Bon Jovi 1990 tour shirt back!!! Also, now I have two Technotronik shirts, if anyone's interested in taking one of them off my hands...

It's looking like it's going to be a very long semester. I have a steady stream of assignments and projects due every week until the beginning of June. As a result, I've sunk back into old habits, namely not having time to eat 3 meals a day, and not sleeping enough. I'm also essentially dating the library. Sorry boys, this girl's off the market.

On Friday I went to Brussels for an internship/job fair put on by Sciences-Po and LSE. The morning portion was spent talking to various public and private organisations, all based in Brussels and focused on the European Union. Considering that most of the organisations attending were private consulting firms who dish out finance and communications advice to their clients, the event was probably more enriching for LSE students. That's what I get for chosing my Master's degree out of interest for the subject instead of consideration for the future. In the afternoon, we all split up and attended an information session. Unfortunately I couldn't get a spot for the International Crisis Group, so I had to suffer through an hour of the shittiest powerpoint presentation in history, care of the embarassingly incompetent communications department of the European Commission. The presentation was completely unadapted to the audience: we are all pursuing prestigious graduate studies, it's a little insulting when we are asked if we know how many countries are currently in the European Union. Also, it's the Treat of Rome, not Rom. Thankfully my iPod picked up on the Commission's free unsecured wireless.

It seemed like kind of a waste to travel all the way to Brussels just for a day, so I ended up staying the night at a friend's place and indulging in what the Belgians do best: liege waffles and good music scene.